Friday, November 18, 2011

What to do, what to do...

I didn't submit my video proposal on Wednesday because I've been REALLY stuck for ideas. If my pet rats were still alive, I'd force them to act in my video. Maybe I'd shoot a rat version of "My Dinner with Andre" where Andre incessantly tries to steal food from the other guy's plate. But unfortunately, both rats have passed on. I'd shoot a cat video, but cats are harder to direct than rats and more mundane to watch.

Here's couple of ideas:
-Show the creation of one of my digital illustrations from start to end. I admit there's already a billion of these "tutorial" and "artistic process" type videos out there, but at least it gives me something creative and personal to do. It would also be helpful and interesting (I hope) to people who want to create similar stuff.
These illustrations are usually done in pencil and pen on paper, then scanned in and given colors and digital effects in Photoshop. Everyone has different techniques for doing this sort of thing, and I use a combination of other people's techniques and stuff I figured out on my own. For the traditional part, I would aim a camera at my desk and record the sketching and inking of the picture. This can take quite a while so I would either show it in "phases" or speed up the footage. For the digital part, I would use one of those programs that records what's happening on your computer screen and then edit that footage. I would add a soundtrack later, with music, voice narration, and/or overlaid subtitles.

-Make a video version of an art history paper that I particularly like. (I like writing about art history once I'm actually forced to do so.) There's a few I could use, but I would probably go with a paper a couple of years ago comparing different statues of the biblical hero David. It was a lot of fun to write and got a good response. Obviously I wouldn't recite the paper verbatim. I'd edit it and make it briefer, simpler, and snappier. I'd display quality photos of the pieces I'm discussing so you could see exactly what I was talking about.
The challenge here is to not make the video into a boring Powerpoint, where I just drone on over a slide show of static images. It needs some actual footage of moving things. I could solve that by taking on some art critic "persona" and acting as an on-camera narrator. I could even wear that priest costume I wore on Halloween and become some kind of quirky, gender-bent cross between Guido Sarducci and Sister Wendy Beckett (the real-life art critic). Any other thoughts on how to spice up this idea would be appreciated.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment