Sunday, November 13, 2011

Coming Attractions

I shot, edited, and published my 1-minute video. The actual image quality and camera work is pretty bad, because A) I was using a regular point-and-shoot digital camera that wasn't designed for taking videos, B) I didn't know what I was doing C) I was in a dimly-lit room, and D) I was working alone. But you can see everything clearly enough to get the message. Originally I narrated the clips as I shot them, but the sound quality was really bad and staticy because of my equipment. So I muted the audio, added music, and overlayed text on the final shot. It was a lot easier to edit that way, and the results are much more pleasing and effective.

I also completed my ABC video, but it was marred by technical problems. I shot four clips, and two of them were shot with the wrong orientation so they ended up being rotated 90 degrees clockwise. I used Quicktime Pro in the lab to rotate them the correct way, but then iMovie HD kept squashing and distorting them to make them fit the program's horizontal display. I ended up having to complete the project at home using Windows Movie Maker, since I don't have a Mac. Windows Movie Maker refused to even RECOGNIZE Quicktime (.mov) files or let me do anything with them. So I was stuck using the original .avi files with the wrong orientation.

And that, kids, is why half the clips in my ABC video are rotated 90 degrees clockwise for no apparent reason. If I have time, I'll make a different version using iMovie once I get back in the Mac lab.

No comments:

Post a Comment