Tuesday, November 22, 2011

New Video Direction: Hunchback of Notre Dame in 4 minutes


I have another video idea that's been brewing in my head. It's a takeoff on the "camera recording me draw" idea, but I'm drawing a series of pictures to tell a story. Specifically, The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo. I've been obsessed with that story (all versions) since September. The idea of condensing it into 4 minutes or less is an amusing challenge, since the novel is really long and fairly complex.
The bulk of the footage (as I'm imagining it) would be sped-up footage of me drawing simple cartoon illustrations of important characters and events in the story. Once each drawing is done, the camera would linger a bit on it so you could get a good look before moving onto the next picture. To break things up, these drawings might be juxtaposed with other relevant or comical images, like screenshots (or footage) from various "Hunchback" movies, or photos of Notre Dame itself.
The soundtrack would mainly be my voice, doing a running commentary as I tell the story in a highly simplified, dry, somewhat irreverent way. I'm not going to CHANGE the story, but neither the illustrations nor the narration should convey that I'm taking it very seriously. The original "Hunchback" is such a moody, dark, brooding story that it's way more fun if you DON'T take it seriously. I might add instrumental music from Disney's "The Hunchback of Notre Dame" (or other sources) for dramatic or comedic effect. The music would either play softly behind my narration, or I'd use it for little musical interludes.

No comments:

Post a Comment